Bengali Style Bhuni Khichdi. ..
Khichdi is one of the easiest and healthy recipe in India....In West Bengal,Bhuni Khichdi is very popular....To make this khichdi we have to roast Sona Moong or normal moong dal in a pan...here we roast or bhuno moong dal...that's why this khichdi is called Bhuni khichdi.
Specially this khichdi is offered to God like Durga, Kali, Lakshmi, Sarswati as prasad as it is pure vegeterian dish...here we don't use onion and garlic.
This khichdi is very popular among Bengalis in a rainy day with some bhaja like Begun or Brinjal, Parwal, Aloo, Papad.....and tomato chutney. ..though today we did not get to make chutney.
You can make it also in the chilled evening of winter...then you can mix fresh cauliflower, peas, beans and carrots...though i did not add any vegetables. ..i like khichdi without any vegetables. .
- Gobibdobhog Rice or any other small grained rice-11/2cup
- Sona Moong Dal or Normal yellow moong dal-3/4cup
- Bay leaf -1
- Ginger paste-1tbsp
- Cumin Powder -1tsp
- Turmeric powder -1tsp
- Dry red chilly-2
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil-1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Take a big pan or kadai, roast yellow moong dal until light brown and release a nice aroma...soak this roasted dal in water for 15 minutes
- Soaked Rice in water for 15 minutes. ..wast it very well and drain the water
- Heat oil in a pan or wok..
- Add dry red chilli
- Add bay leaf, cloves, chinamon and cumin seeds...let them crackle
- Add rice...fry until it releases nice aroma
- Add ginger paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder...mix well and saute
- Add roasted dal...mix well
- Add 2cup hot water
- Add salt...cover and cook on low flame...
- Turn off the gas when 3/4 water will get dried up
- Spread ghee on top before serving