Khichdi is one of the easiest and healthy recipe in India.It is made with rice and lentil or dal.In West Bengal,khichdi is called Khichuri,Bhuni Khichuri is very popular among Bengalies.
Gobindobhog rice is used to make this khichdi or khichuri,It is small grained,white rice having a nice aroma,mostly cultivated in the northern districts of West Bengal.To make this khichdi we roast moong dal (preferably sona moong dal,easily available moong dal in West Bengal which has a nice flavour) in a pan or kadai,here we roast or bhuno moong dal that's why this khichdi is called Bhuni khichdi.
Specially this khichdi along with Labra(Bengali mixed vegetable curry)bhajas,chutney and payesh or kheer are offered to God like Durga, Kali, Lakshmi, Sarswati as prasad as it is pure vegeterian dish,here we do not use onion and garlic.
This khichdi is very popular in a rainy day also with some bhaja or fries like Begun or Brinjal, Parwal, Aloo, Papad and tomato chutney.
You can make it also in the chilled evening of winter adding winter fresh vegetables like cauliflower, peas, beans and carrots.
The most important part of making 'Bhuni Khichuri' is the measurements of rice,dal and water.If you take 1 cup rice,you have to take 1 cup moong dal and 4 cups warm water.This khichuri or khichdi will not be watery like others khichuri or khichdi.
Preparation Time-15 Minutes
Cooking Time-20-25 Minutes
- Gobibdobhog Rice -1cup
- Sona Moong Dal or Normal yellow moong dal-1 cup
- Bay leaf -2
- Green Cardamom-2
- Cumin seeds-1teaspoon
- Ginger paste-2tbsp
- Cumin Powder -1.5 tsp
- Red chili powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder -1tsp
- Dry red chilly-2
- Salt to taste
- Ghee-4tbsp+1teaspoon or you can use 2 tbsp ghee and 2 tbsp mustard oil.
- Take a big pan or kadai, roast yellow moong dal until light brown and release a nice aroma,soak this roasted dal in water for 45 minutes then drain the water and keep aside
- Soaked gobhindobhog rice in water for 45 minutes.,wash it very well and drain the water
- Dry roast the cardamoms cinnamons and 1/2teaspoon cumin seeds in a tawa and then grind to make a powder
- Heat ghee or ghee and oil in a pan or wok or kadai
- Add dry red chilli
- Add bay leaf and cumin seeds, let them crackle
- Add ginger paste,cumin powder and red chili powder in a bowl and mix well adding little water before starting to cook this dish, now add this paste,mix well,fry until oil gets separated
- Add rice and roasted dal,mix well
- Add salt and turmeric powder,mix well,cook for 5 minutes on low flame,stirring in between
- Add 4 cups warm water (if you want more watery khichdi,then add 1/2warm water more)
- Cover and cook on low flame
- Turn off the gas when 3/4 water will get dried up
- Add grinded cardamom,cinnamon and cumin powder and mix
- Spread 1 teaspoon ghee on top before serving
Note:-if you do not get gobhindobhog rice,then you can use ambarbhog,jeera rice or any other small grained rice,but taste will not remain same.