Luchi or Bengali Style Poori served with Aloo Chorchori or Bong style aloo curry with kalonji or black cumin seeds or Nigella seeds ( Kalojeera )
Luchi is a deep-fried flatbread made of all purpose Flour or Maida. It is very popular in West Bengal,Assam, Odissa and also in Bangladesh . In order to make luchis, a dough is prepared by mixing fine maida flour with water and a spoonful of ghee or clarified butter...or oil..which is then divided into small balls. These balls are flattened using a rolling-pin and individually deep-fried in cooking oil or ghee.
The difference between luchi and poori is,poori is made with atta or wheat....and luchi is made with all purpose flour or maida. . Luchi is almost like Puri, but while Puri is usually brown, Luchi is always white.
We Bengalis love to have luchi with bengali style dum aloo...begun bhaja or brinjal fry...cholar dal or chana dal and last but not least aloo chorchori or Potato Curry with Kalonji or Nigella seeds ( Kalojeera ). I always prefer having luchi within aloo chorchori.
Ingredients For Making Luchi or Bengali Style Poori
Madia /All Purpose Flour : 2 cups
Cooking Oil : 2 tbsp+1tbsp
Salt : 1/4 tsp or to taste
Cooking Oil for deep frying
How To Make Luchi or Bengali Style Poori
1. Sieve the madia /all purpose flour with salt and make a well in the center.
2. Pour the 2 tbsp of oil and 1tbsp ghee in the well and mix with fingertips. Add a little warm water at a time to form a dough, knead well with hands.
3. Once the dough is done, smear a couple of drops of remaining oil coat it. (Note : Oil will help avoid forming a crust)
4. Cover and allow the dough to rest for about 10 minutes.
5. After that, knead the dough once again. Divide the dough into balls approximately 1" in diameter.
6. Flatten each ball and using oil for rolling, roll into discs approximately 4" in diameter.
7. Heat the oil in a deep wok like pot, wait until it is hot to test the oil, drop a small piece of dough, if it is hot it will float up immediately bubbling as it comes up to the surface. Now slowly slide the poori from the side of the pot into the hot oil.
8. Deep-fry the luchi /madia poori .When it puffs up, turn it once on the other side. Fry for a minute and remove.
9. Serve hot with Aloo Chorchori or Bong style aloo curry with kalonji or black cumin seeds or Nigella seeds (Kalojeera)
Ingredients For Making Aloo Chorchori or Potato Curry with Kalonji or Nigella seeds(Kalojeera )
1/2 tsp Nigella Seeds/Kalo jeera (kalonji)
2-3 Green Chillies, Cut into Slits
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
3 tbsps Oil (preferably mustard oil)
Water as Required
Salt to taste
How To Make Aloo Chorchori or Bengali Style Potato Curry with Kalonji or black cumin seeds or Nigella seeds ( Kalojeera )
Wash, peel and cut the potatoes in small cubes.
Heat oil in a wok. Add nigella seeds and slited green chillies in it. Saute for few seconds.
Add potato cubes in it. Keep frying till potatoes turn into golden colour.
Add turmeric powder, salt in it. Mix thoroughly.
Add 2 cups warm water in it. Mix well. Cook it on high flame till it starts to boil. Reduce the heat now, cover and cook till potatoes are well cooked.It must be a dry curry,. Turn off the heat now.
Serve warm with hot 'phulko phulko' luchi.