Jhinge Aloo Posto........or Ridgegourd Patato curry with Poppy Seeds Paste
Jhinge Aloo posto is a traditional bengali vegetable preparation. It is a common bengali side dish for lunch with hot steamed rice.This is a very easy recipe where Jhinge or Ridgegourd and Aloo or Potato cooked with Poppy seeds Paste.We bengali call poppy seed posto.We Bengalis love to have this Poppy seeds paste with many curries. There is some popular bengali preparation with poppy seeds paste....like... Aloo Posto, Jhinge Posto, Onion Posto and many more.Today I will share Jhinga Aloo Posto with you all.
SERVING FOR 3
- Poppy seeds-4tbsp
- Green chillies -2 (chopped)
- Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
- Kalonji or Nigella seeds or Kalojeera-1/2tsp
- Mustard oil -2tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak poppy seeds in a warm water for atleast 20 minutes.Grind to a fine paste adding with little bit water...it is better to grind poppy seeds with mortar and pestle or shilbatta ....but if you don't have shilbatta then grind with wet grinder. Just make sure that the paste should not be very thin or thick.
- Wash the Ridgegourd and peel alternatively, cut into half lengthwise and then chopped into small half moon size
- Wash potatoes and cut into small cubes
- Heat oil (preferably mustard oil) in a kadai, add Nigella seeds and let them splutter
- Add chopped green chillies
- Add potatoes. ..fry until light brown
- Add chopped Ridgegourd..mix and stir,
- Add salt and turmeric powder. .fry for a couple of times. ..as Ridgegourd is a watery vegetable...so it releases water..let it cook with its own water
- Add poppy seeds paste....mix....can add water if required. ...cover.
- Cook on a medium flame until the veggies are done and water has all dried up
- Sprinkle little mustard oil on top (optional)
Serve hot with steamed rice. ...